Durante la celebración de la inauguración de la Biblioteca y Centro de Investigación Social Jesús T. Piñero, la familia Piñero presentó al público la cámara de películas que fue propiedad del ex gobernador y que utilizó para filmar un gran número de obras que documentan la historia del país. Esta cámara estará en exhibición en la nueva Biblioteca en calidad de préstamo. A continuación compartimos el mensaje de Kevin Amses, uno de los biznietos de Piñero y quien hizo la entrega de la cámara:

“Buenas tardes. I would first like to extend my most sincere thanks to the University for inviting me today to this monumental event. Since I have been here, I have been in awe of all the planning and hard work that went into creating this amazing, and truly important facility, a venue that celebrates an integral part of Puerto Rican history. I am very honored, humbled really, to be here representing the Piñero family in the opening of this library and would like to take this opportunity to present this Bell and Howell 70D 16mm camera. This camera represents a lot of history, a lot of our history. This camera was used by my great grandfather in documenting the lives of the Puerto Rican people during the 1930’s and 40’s. It was then passed on to and used extensively by his son, my grandfather, Jose Emilio. The love of film shared between father and son was engrained in my mother and uncle, and they have dedicated their lives and careers to working in the film industry. In closure, I just want to say that we are so very pleased that this camera can find a home in my great grandfather’s library, a place where the people of Puerto Rico can enjoy its historical significance for many many years to come. Thank you very much.”

(foto: Sasha Wasko)